Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEPs) are university graduates specialising in the delivery of exercise programs for the prevention and management of chronic diseases, injuries and disabilities. In Australia they are accredited with Exercise and Sports Science Australia (ESSA) and are required to take part in continuing education in order to remain this way. At Active Seniors your exercise programs are designed and supervised by these professionals.
The role if an Exercise Physiologist is to create and implement an individualised exercise program in order to improve your health.
What do we do?
- Perform an initial assessment to establish your health status
- Perform exercise testing to establish your balance, flexibility, strength and endurance
- Discuss your health and fitness goals and the best ways to achieve them
- Educate you on health condition and lifestyle changes
- Implement exercise programs, ensuring they are performed safely and with correct technique
- Progress your programs in accordance with your improvements • Keep in contact with your other health professionals when it is relevant to ensure your best care
- Motivate you!!!!
Who do we help?
Some specific conditions in the Exercise Physiologist Scope of Practice include
- Cardiopulmonary: Including but not limited to hypertension, coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular disease, myocardial infarction, chronic heart failure, asthma chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, cystic fibrosis
- Metabolic: Including but not limited to obesity, dyslipidemias, impaired glucose tolerance and diabetes mellitus Musculoskeletal Including but not limited to arthritis (especially osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis), osteoporosis, sub-acute and chronic specific and non-specific pain/injuries
- Neurological/Neuromuscular: Including but not limited to stroke, spinal cord injury, acquired brain injury, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis and cerebral palsy
- Others: Including but not limited to cancers, mental illness and conditions associated with ageing
(From ESSA’s AEP Scope of Practice 2014)
How do I find an AEP?
Come to Active Seniors Health centre or to find an Accredited Exercise Physiologist near you click here go to https://www.essa.org.au/find-aep/